SvarDOS: The project's TODO list
* Replace the default (FreeDOS) edit with a smaller alternative (?) that is:
- TINY (a dozen of KiBs or so)
- relatively simple: no need for advanced text editing features, just enough
to comfortably edit small (<64K) configuration files
- 8086-compatible and have modest memory requirements
- multi-lang (kitten library)
- capable of (limited) copy/pasting between two files
* replace FreeCOM by SvarCOM
* improve installer so user can choose the target disk
* COUNTRY settings shall be configurable by localcfg (and user should be
able to define local preferences through an easy-to-use wizard during
* out-of-the box networking support:
- requires shipping lots of packet drivers with SvarDOS... Should CRYNWR be
part of the install set? Or only selected, most popular drivers? Or maybe
this could be provided as a "supplemental" floppy disk?
- user should be asked for its NIC model at install time
- installer could also ask for a basic DHCP / static configuration
* install.com - MBR changes could be done by the installer itself instead of
* help - write more useful content!
- basic DOS commands (directories, copy/rename/delete files, etc)
- common configuration files (autoexec, config.sys, pkg.cfg, wattcp.cfg..)
- networking guide
- memory management basics
* test new versions of software and update packages accordingly. special care
must be taken for core things: kernel, command.com, fdisk, himemx...
* add new, useful software to the SvarDOS repository (see the rules)
* further NLS support, improvements of existing translations and adding new
languages -> would be nice to have some kind of web interface for submitting
and reviewing translations
* all user-facing CORE packages should be NLS-aware (translatable)
* possibly plenty of other things
Wanna help? Get in touch!